Monday, July 8, 2013

Tomatoes!

Is there anything better in the summer?  I have a lot of favorite tomato recipes, but one of the best is bruschetta.  I learned to make this from my friend who lives in Florida.  She is a great cook, and enjoys making this for company.

The bakery near me has good mini ciabatta loaves, so I split them and use them for the base.  My friend uses pesto from the jar, but I have lots of fresh basil in the backyard, so I make my own pesto.  I use 1/4 c olive oil, 2 frozen cubes of garlic from Trader Joes, 1/4 c basil, 1/4 c parmesan, and 1/2 c walnuts mixed together in the blender for the pesto.  I spread that on the ciabatta.

I chop tomatoes and marinate them in red wine vinegar dressing.  Usually two large tomatoes are enough.  I place the tomatoes on top of the pesto.

I sprinkle all of this with a little shredded parmesan.  Bake it in the oven for a few minutes and you have a delicious appetizer or side dish.



No comments:

Post a Comment