Friday, January 23, 2015

Macaroons

I like coconut, and I think that macaroons are a delicious cookie.   I like to eat, so most of the things that I make taste pretty good.  I am also impatient, so many of the things I make don't look that nice.   Appearance counts on the cookie table, so we're off to search for a new macaroon recipe.

I adapted a macaroon recipe from Nancy Baggett's All-American Cookie Book, and they turned out really pretty.  They have a nice sheen and a golden color, they should look nice on the cookie table, too.

I didn't know whether to use unsweetened or sweetened coconut, so I used both.  The flavor and texture were good.

12 oz sweetened coconut
12 oz unsweetened shredded coconut
3 T sweetened condensed milk
4 egg whites at room temperature
1/4 t lemon juice
2/3 c sugar
1 t vanilla

Toast the coconut first for about 8 minutes in a 325 oven.

Mix the coconut and sweetened condensed milk.
Beat the egg whites and lemon juice until soft peaks form.  Add sugar and vanilla and beat until stiff peaks form.

Fold ingredients together.

Use a teaspoon cookie scoop, and bake at 325 for 10 minutes.


No comments:

Post a Comment