Monday, February 9, 2015

Rugelach or Kolache?

I love these kind of cookies.  I love them with nuts, apricots, poppy seeds, raspberry, you name it!

This week, I wanted to get a good recipe for one or the other.  I have made good apricot kolache in the past, but I can't find that recipe yet.  I have a really good nut bread recipe, but the look of the slices might not work for a cookie table.

I need something that tastes good, and is cookie size.  The first recipe I tried was from Gourmet Magazine, in 2004.  It is a basic rugelach with cream cheese dough.  I wasn't sure if I wanted to use a yeast dough, a sour cream dough, or a cream cheese dough.  I wasn't sure about the shape--whether to do the roll-ups or the squares that fold over, but this gives you a roll with one-inch bites.  This size sounded perfect for the cookie table.

I made the dough yesterday and chilled it overnight.  It was really easy to roll out.  I used apricot preserves, cinnamon sugar, and walnuts for the filling, and rolled them up.  Since the dough didn't have any sugar, I sprinkled sugar on top.

I took these out of the oven when they browned, and they looked incredible!  Unfortunately, I took them out too early, and they are a little soggy in the middle, but other than that, they are great!  I need to get some raisins to increase the chewiness, and the dough may need a little salt, but these are close to perfect.  I will try them again later this week, and I may have a good recipe on hand!

No comments:

Post a Comment