Wednesday, February 4, 2015

The very best thumbprint cookies

Three Rivers Cookbooks have the best recipes.  The first one was published soon after I got married, and I've relied on these cookbooks ever since for everyday and special occasion dishes.  One of my favorites over the years is for Thumbprint Cookies from Three Rivers I.

You need:

1/2 c brown sugar
1 c butter
2 or 3 egg yolks
2 c flour
Egg whites
2 1/2 c chopped nuts
raspberry preserves

Cream together sugar, butter, and egg yolks.   Beat flour into mixture.  Form balls and dip into slightly beaten egg whites.  Roll balls into chopped nuts, place on lightly greased cookie sheet, and put a thumbprint into each.  Bake at 350 for 8 minutes.  Remove and reset thumbprint. Bake an additional 8 minutes.  Fill with preserves.  The last time, I used a mix of walnuts and toasted pecans, and they were good.  I also used buttercream frosting with salted butter.

No comments:

Post a Comment